Substitute Teaching Assistants (Temporary/On Call/As Needed)
Several positions available
Salary: Starts at $13/hour
Hours: Vary – On As Needed Basis [Hours of Operation: 7 am-6 pm]
Substitute teaching assistants ensure safety and supervision of children at all times. They provide support where needed and work under the guidance and direction of Lead Teachers or Associate Teachers in the absence of the Lead. Position may also involve some kitchen duties including light food prep (snacks), dish washing, etc., as well as the occasional care animals.
Because of the nature of our program, our teachers spend a great deal of time outdoors, in all seasons and in all kinds of (safe) weather conditions. Associate Teacher must be comfortable spending extended time outdoors, engaging with nature (getting a dirty indoors and out) and being with and occasionally caring for animals (goats, chickens, ducks and little creatures who we might bring into the classrooms for educational purposes and then release back to nature, e.g. insects, salamanders, turtles, etc.)
- Supervising children at all times. Being aware of entire group while working with a small group or individuals. Maintaining proper ratios at all times.
- Supervising and interacting with children outdoors for extended periods.
- Be attentive, flexible and supportive of children and their families during transitions to and from classrooms.
- Respecting and observing children’s interests. Intervening when needed to maintain safety. Enhancing children’s play with language, toys, and activities.
- Interacting with children frequently, affectionately and respectfully.
- Being available and responsive to children’s needs, questions, and requests.
- Acknowledging feelings with sensitivity, and modeling appropriate social behavior.
- Organizing environment and keeping equipment safe, clean and accessible to children to use independently
- Supporting Frog Pond’s mission, philosophies, values, goals and policies to parents, co-workers and community
- Participating actively through communication, collaboration and curriculum implementation
- Facilitating the serving of meals and clean-up afterwards
- Perform other duties as requested
- Enjoy working in a collaborate, team-oriented environment
- Ability to juggle competing demands
- Must be able to carry a 60 lb. child 100 yards if needed during an emergency.
- Experience in a school, kindergarten, or licensed child care / family care setting helpful
- CDA – Child Development Associate a plus
To apply, please download and submit a job application, along with a well-crafted cover letter and resume (PDF ) to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 703-637-1104