Butternut and Acorn Squash
(the preschool way)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Preschooler washes the outside of the squash, scrubbing with a veggie brush
- Take squash and place in a baking dish with ¼ inch of water in bottom
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Depending on size of squash it may be shorter or longer. It is done when the sides are soft in the neck section of the squash (most solid part)
- Allow to cool
- Cut in half and have your preschooler scrape out the seeds and fibrous part using a large spoon and hands (of course)
- Peel off the skin or scrape out the flesh, and place the flesh in large bowl
- Give preschooler a potato masher and allow them to mash away.
You can add a little maple syrup or cinnamon sugar and butter if desired. Or serve them just the way they are.
Reheat when ready to eat in sauce pan or microwave. Add salt and pepper to taste.