A good winter recipe to use dried or canned fruit when local fresh is not available.
Children begin to develop a sense of cooking and use their hand coordination for cracking eggs, tearing bread, mixing pineapples and eggs.
Wash hands well before and after since it involves raw eggs.
4 slices of left-over bread broken into cubes (this is how to use the day old or slightly hardened bread leftovers)
1 can of pineapple tidbits or chunks in its own juice (organic preferred)
½ stick of butter or margarine melted (or oil substitute for non-dairy)
3 eggs (free-range organic of course)
Optional: other fruits can also be added such as dried sweetened cranberries, raisins or dried cherries.
- Melt butter in casserole dish.
- Fluff bread pieces around in butter until lightly coated.
- Add can of pineapple tidbits and juice.
- Add three beaten eggs.
- Mix around until all bread is well soaked.
- Optional: sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top before baking
- Bake in 350 Degree oven for 45 minutes or until top is beginning to turn golden.
Serve warm. Can top with milk (or almond or soy milk), whipped cream, or ice cream if you want to go all out!